My research on water issues bridges the natural and social sciences. I publish in several fields, including environmental science and environmental studies, geography, development studies, and urban studies. I have also published in specialist water journals, and scientific journals such as Science.
- 2013 Lankford, B., Bakker, K., Zeitoun, M., and Conway, D., (Eds.) Water Security: Principles, Perspectives, and Practices. London: Routledge.
- 2013 Norman, E., Cohen, A., and Bakker, K. (eds.) Water Without Borders? Canada, the United States, and Shared Waters. (Toronto: University of Toronto Press)
- 2010 Bakker, K. Privatizing Water: Governance failure and the world’s water crisis. (Ithaca: Cornell University Press; Asian edition: NUS Press, 2011)
- 2006 Bakker, K. (ed.) Eau Canada: The future of Canada’s water. (Vancouver: UBC Press)
- 2004 Bakker, K. An Uncooperative Commodity. (Oxford: Oxford University Press)
Recent Articles (selected examples)
(Student names underlined)
- 2016 G. Dunn, R. R. Brown, J. J. Bos & K. Bakker (2016): Standing on the shoulders of giants: Understanding changes in urban water practice through the lens of complexity science, Urban Water Journal, DOI: 10.1080/1573062X.2016.1241284
- 2016 Simms, R., Harris, L., Bakker, K., and Joe, N. (2016) Navigating the Tensions in Collaborative Watershed Governance: Water Governance and Indigenous Communities in British Columbia, Canada. Geoforum. 6 – 16. DOI 10.1016/j.geoforum.2016.04.005
- 2015 de Freitas, C., A. Marston, and Karen Bakker. “Not-quite-neoliberal natures in Latin America: An introduction.” Geoforum 64: 239-245.
- 2015 Dunn, G., Harris, L., Bakker, K.. “Microbial Risk Governance: Challenges and opportunities in freshwater management in Canada.” Canadian Water Resources Association Journal. 40(3), 237-249.
- 2015 Norman, E. and K. Bakker.“Do good fences make good neighbors? Canada-United States Transboundary Water Governance, the Boundary Waters Treaty, and 21st century challenges.” Water International. 40(1), 199-213.
- 2014 Bakker, K. ‘The Business of Water’ Annual Review of Environment and Resources. 39(1), 469 – 494.
- 2014 Cohen, A. and K. Bakker. The eco-scalar fix: Rescaling environmental governance and the politics of ecological boundaries in Alberta, Canada. Environment and Planning D. doi:10.1068/d0813.
- 2014 Yates, J. and K. Bakker. Neoliberalism and Post-neoliberalism in Latin America. Progress in Human Geography. 38(1), 62 – 91. (second author: contribution 40%)
- 2014 Dunn, G., Harris, L., Bakker, K., and Allen, D. Drinking Water Quality Guidelines across Canadian Provinces and Territories: Jurisdictional variation in the context of decentralized water governance. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 11(5), 4634-4651. (third author; contribution 25%)
- 2014 Cohen, A. and K. Bakker. The eco-scalar fix: Rescaling environmental governance and the politics of ecological boundaries. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space. doi:10.1068/d0813.
- 2013 Bakker, K. and C. Morinville ‘The Governance Dimensions of Water Security: A review.’ Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Science. 371 (2002), 2013011
- 2013 Bakker, K. Constructing “public” water: The World Bank and water as an object of development. Environment & Planning D, 31(2), 280-300.
- 2013 Bakker, K. Neoliberal versus Postneoliberal Water. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 253-260.
- 2012 Bakker, K. Water Security: Research challenges and opportunities. Science, 337, 914. (Summary and reprints also available.)
- 2012 Cook, C. and K. Bakker. Water Security: Debating an emerging paradigm. Global Environmental Change, 22(1), 94–102.
- 2011 Bakker, K. and Cook, C. Water governance in Canada: Innovation in the context of fragmentation. International Journal of Water Resources Development, 27(2): 275–289.
- 2010 Bakker, K. Debating green neoliberalism: The limits of “neoliberal natures”. Progress in Human Geography, 34(6), 715–735.
- 2010 Furlong, K. and Bakker, K. The contradictions of ‘good’ governance: Business Models, Alternative Service Delivery, and Sustainability in Municipal Water Supply. Environment and Planning C 28(2), 349–368.
- 2010 Bakker, K. Participation du secteur privé à la gestion des services des eaux : Tendances récentes et débats dans les pays en voie de développement. Espaces et Societés 139, 91–105.
Recent Book Chapters (selected examples)
- 2016 Dunn, G., L. Harris, and K. Bakker. “Canadian Drinking Water Policy: Jurisdictional Variation in the Context of Decentralized Water Governance.” In Water Policy and Governance in Canada, vol. 17, ed. S. Renzetti and D. Dupont, 301–20. New York: Springer.
- 2016 Norman, E., and K. Bakker. “Transboundary Water Governance.” In Water Policy in Canada, vol. 17, ed. S. Renzetti and D. Dupont, 139-158. New York: Springer.
- 2015 Norman, E.S., A. Cohen, and K. Bakker. “The Water Convention from a North American Perspective.” In The UNECE Convention to the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes; Its Contribution to Internation, ed. A. Tanzi, O. McIntyre, A. Kolliopoulos, and A. Rieu-Clarke, 423–34. Boston: Brill Press.
- 2015 Cook, C., and K. Bakker. “Water Security: Key Issues.” In Handbook on Water Security, ed. C. Pahl-Wostl, J. Gupta, and A. Baduri, 19–37. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- 2015 Bakker, K. “The Neoliberalization of Nature.” In Routledge Handbook of Political Ecology, ed. G. Bridge, T. Perreault, and J. McCarthy, 446–56. London: Routledge.
- 2014 Kooy, M., and K. Bakker. “(Post)Colonial Pipes Urban Water Supply in Colonial and Contemporary Jakarta.” In Cars, Conduits and Kampongs: Modernization of the Indonesian city, 1920 – 1960. Eds. F. Colombijn and J. Cote, 63–86. Leiden: Brill.
- 2014 Bakker, K. “From a ‘State Hydraulic’ to ‘Market Environmentalist’ Paradigm: Changing Paradigms of Urban Water Supply in Developing Countries in the 20th Century.” In The UNESCO Water Book Project, Volume 7: Water and Humanity: Historical Overview, ed. V. Scarborough, 197–217. Paris: UNESCO.
- 2013 Bakker, K. Hegemony does not imply homogeneity: Thoughts on the marketization and privatization of water. In Contemporary Water Governance in the Global South, (Eds.) L.Harris, J. Goldin, and C. Sneddon. Routledge: London.
- 2012 Bakker, K. “The ‘matter of nature’ in economic geography.” In Barnes, T., Peck, J. and E. Sheppard (eds.) The New Companion to Economic Geography. New York: Wiley-Blackwell.
- 2011 Bakker, K. Splintered Urbanisms: Water, urban infrastructure, and the modern social imaginary In Gandy, M. (ed.) Urban Constellations Berlin: Jovis, 62–64.
- 2011 Bakker, K. Conflicts over water supply in Jakarta, Indonesia. In Barraque, B. (Ed.), Urban Water Conflicts, Paris: UNESCO, 195–217.
- 2011 Bakker, K. The human right to water revisited. In Sultana, F., Budds, J. and Loftus, A. (eds). The Right to Water. London: Earthscan, 19–44.
- 2010 Bakker, K. Commons versus Commodities: Political ecologies of water privatization. In Peet, R., Robbins, P., and Watts, M. (Eds.) Global Political Ecology London: Routledge, 345–368.
- 2010 Norman, E. and K. Bakker. Governing Water across the Canada – U.S. Borderland. In G. Hale and M. Gattinger (eds.), Borders and Bridges: Navigating Canada’s International Policy Relations in a North America Context. Oxford University Press, 194–212.